Saturday, October 20, 2012

Training Catch Up and A Torn Calf!

After my trip to Calgary I realized I wasn't very quick at anything.  Strength is there now on most things but I definitely lack speed.  Strongman is a well rounded sport.. any weak links become obvious at high level shows.  My thought?  ADD SPRINTS! 

My buddy Gary is the trainer for the local 15 yr old Goldenhawks hockey team.  They now do Prowler work and agility and speed work.  I thought it'd fit into my strength program perfectly.   It may have but not 11 days ago.   Did a light jog and some stretching for warm up then first sprint I heard and felt a pop on my very first step.  Yeah... very first step.  I thought one of the kids smoked me with a medicine ball.  I was wrong and limped to my car. 

I hit my chirpractor up and it was clear with the swelling and bruising... I tore my calf.  Dr. Dave Gendron assessed it and gave me some tissue treatment.  So long story short I now go to Dr. Dave for tissue work and physio for my little rehab exercises and ultrasound therapy.  Swelling is down as of today and my limp is less and less daily.

On to the training I can do!

This past week....

Tuesday-
20 mins on roller and some mobility work

Bench-
135 x 15 x 2 sets
225 x 5 x 3 sets
250 x 5
280 x 3
315 x 1
Slingshot-  315 x 10, 315 x 9

A1. Body Rows - 15, 15, 15
A2. Band PullAparts- 20, 20, 20


Thursday-
30 mins on roller and some mobility work

Speed Deads-
135 x 8, 135 x 3, 135 x 3
225 x 3 x 2 sets
245 x 3 x 3 sets

Military Press- (log)
175 x 5
200 x 3
225 x 5

Pull Ups (neutral grip)-
7, 6, 5, 5, 4

A1. Standing DB Press-   65lbs x 15 x 2 sets
A2. Body Rows-   10 x 2 sets

Adding in a little more each time, still not ready to really push heavy squats and deads though.  Strongman events training is postponed until December while I heal up.

I always ask myself when I get an injury (this is probably my most serious injury so far) if it is worth it.  After a few days of contemplating and weighing my options I decide OF COURSE IT'S WORTH IT!!  This is the best sport I have jumped into.   I always have these thoughts when injured... never when healthy. haha

Of course Paul Vaillancourt told me to _____ myself and get training.  Always a motivational speaker.

Next session will be my circuit day either tonight or tomorrow.  Program remains the same except I have taken out Sunday MASS events training.

No comments:

Post a Comment