Monday, March 18, 2013

Walking Away -- Hoping I Did Not Forget Anyone

It's been 8 years since I first entered a Strongman competition.  The summer of 2005 I grew some balls and jumped into two back to back shows.  As I have said before... I was hooked.   I have seen the sport I love grow rapidly.  My first contest had a 160lbs log press.  Can you imagine that now?  160lbs is the weight of the empty log we use in training now...  just a warm up.  Farmer's Walk was 204lbs per hand.  When I did the WNSF show in Calgary it was 330lbs per hand!  I dropped it numerous times and didn't even finish at my first show.  In Calgary I finished in a respectable time with NO drops.  My first competition had a 500lbs tire.  In Calgary it was 1000lbs!

For me personally Strongman helped me overcome some obstacles.  I had a fear of performing in front of people.  I hated public speaking of any sort let alone play to the crowd in a sporting event.  I learned so much from training, I learned even more from my injuries.   I made a ton of friends and acquaintances and felt at home.  This sport has egos but a majority of those egos are also willing to help the less experienced.  Those egos were pushed aside for the love of our sport.  

I have put so much into training and competing in Strongman with little in return.  It's not why I did it.  I put my heart into promoting shows and demonstrations with little in return. Some people thank you, some people piss on you.  I have brought a good number of guys into the sport and/or just the way of training to help them.  Once again I did it for nothing in return.

So going into the spring of 2013 I have made a decision.  Strongman consumed me for many years.  It is time to walk away.  I will still be using strongman style exercises in my workouts but for different reasons.  I will still be doing feats of strength for charities.  I am however walking away from the 'sport' of strongman.
I will still be involved in powerlifting but have added some different aspects of weight training into my routines  to be a healthier and more athletic individual.    What sports will I be involved in? I have a little while to try some things.  First on my list is boxing and grappling.  I also have a great friend in Joe Doran who does the Olympic Weightlifting movements... I'd like to work on those.    The next couple weeks you will see videos of my attempts at these things.  Stay tuned.

So why am I walking away?  Many reasons.   Those who are close to me know why.  I have touched on a few things over the last year but there is more.  I can't change those things so I need to walk away.  My wife and daughter deserve it as well.  They also deserve a husband and father who isn't 300lbs and wheezing up the stairs.  I have consumed their time as well.  When I was obsessed with strongman that is all I thought about.  I wouldn't have any drinks of alcohol if we were out with friends and I would be looking to go to bed early on a Saturday night just to get up and train for 4 hours on Sunday morning.  Guess what... I have had some drinks and relaxed twice in a month.  I'm not a drinker by any means but I indulged and had a few beer.  I got up and danced.  I had many laughs.  Did I still hit a workout on Sunday? Fucking right.  I was just more flexible with my schedule recently.

What was the last bit of rambling about?  Balance.  I threw away many opportunities to have some fun just to lift some heavy shit.   If I indulged at those moments would it have affected my abilities in Strongman? Nope. I am talking about having a beer in my father-in-laws garage, having a few drinks while curling with my boys at work even having a couple drinks with my wife by our pool.  Those would not have hurt me one bit.  I was obsessed.  Lately I see more and more things I have missed out on.  I refuse to let that happen again.  If I miss a meal then fine.  I will make up for it next time.  If I lose a few pounds on my bench press because I have increased my cardio performance then so be it.  Some will ask why I can't just alter my Strongman programming and life decisions to stay in the sport.  I will tell them this.
It is hard to change old habits, I find it more manageable to take control of new habits.  It makes sense to me.

I need to thank a whole shitload of people... hoping not to forget anyone...
Dan McAuley, Dave Elmy, Amy Doyle, Grant Buhr and Ontario Strongman, Scott MacDiarmid, Brian Dunham, Brad Reid, Giles Sharpe, Jill Steenburg, Trenton Family Dental, yes even Bruce Millward despite recent differences, Ed Jouwstra, Andre Avigdor, Cher Lepine, Quinte Fitness, Copperfield's Fitness, the Harbour Club, HAI Waterjets, Kevin Fast,Joe and Ben,  The Mohawk Fair Council, Sean Kennedy, Evan King, Mike Sheppard, Dave McCue...Inside Fitness Magazine and the World's Natural Strongman Federation. My father-in-law - Steve Keech for building my equipment and having our talks in the garage...Thanks Pop!! All of these people have been instrumental in helping me learn about myself and perform in front of a crowd to showcase what we do.

My sponsors...
Dr. Dave Gendron - You sir are a classy guy.  You have been on my team since the very beginning. We have worked through MANY injuries and snags with training and competition.  I couldn't have done it without you buddy.

Cygen Laboratories-Joel and Jeff... It is an honour to be part of your brand.  The generosity and hospitality you have shown me in the industry is top notch.  I hope to continue bringing awareness to the brand and ingesting your supplements.  I look forward to grow as an athlete carrying the Cygen flag.

Pitchfork NY Hardwear-  Warren I want to thank you for taking a chance on a dude you didn't even know. Our relationship has been short so far but the love from PF and it's family has been incredible... cheers to a Decade Of Hard Times !!

To my boys at work...
Andrew, Buck and Gammon... I won't be as fat when we go curling, boating, golfing and Rock Banding... watch out muthafuckas...  You guys bust my balls but deep down... I know you care and support.  Thanks guys!!

To my long distance bruthas... Paul Vaillancourt, Dave Finistauri, Jordan Foley and Torey Hunt...
My body has gone through many changes over the years.  It has come from 'food road trips' with Dave, training and mentoring from Paul and Jordan and long distance phone calls of encouragement from Torey.
You guys I consider good friends.  You have helped me as much as anyone else.   In the health and fitness industry we all know about smoke and mirrors.  All four of you have no bullshit attitudes and have told me what's real.  Thank you.


A special paragraph of thanks needs to go out to the following guys.  Jason Howes, Jon Cavanagh, Adrian Kimmett, Joe Doran, Greg Compton and Ian Dawe.  Through training we started our group.  Through that we have become friends.  You guys have really talked me into some shit and out of some other shit.  We've had so much fun destroying our bodies but we always would support each other.  We talk about training through text, FB and phone.  We shoot the shit during training and get the job done.   Your words of encouragement have been a big part of reaching the highest level in drug tested Strongman... the WNSF.  You have really helped me believe in myself and push my body and mind to the limits.      Let's see what happens in the future!  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Most importantly though... Amie and Sydney.  I tear up as I write this.  Whether I come in last place or 1st it didn't matter to you guys.  You have put up with my training and competitions, the travel and costs.  If you couldn't make the trip I would always try to hurry home just to update you on my performance.  It's not easy being gone from you two but receiving those  texts saying "Good Luck Richie" and "You'll do great Honey" just made my day despite competition placings.  I love you both. XOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment